Thursday, October 20, 2011

Thoughts on World Travel

I don't know if you have traveled outside of the U.S., but I'm here to tell you that there is a big difference between traveling for pleasure and traveling for business purposes.

My idea of traveling for pleasure is reaching your destination and checking into a fine hotel or resort and laying on the beach and bumming around for days.

The business side of traveling as I've experienced would usually entail a cheap hotel where no one speaks your language, and you're stuck in cramped offices all day trying to make a sale. There was usually no time for sightseeing or going out on the town. It was strictly business.

However, there were times I've never forgotten. For instance, one time in Kuwait I was walking down the street at night with a client name Abdullah. He had never been out of his native country.

He looked up at the night sky. "Bob, does the moon in the U.S. look like ours?" he asked.

I smiled and replied. "Our moon looks exactly like yours."

I'll never forget that moment, and the experience of that particular trip is what inspired my upcoming novel, Souls of the Desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment